Sunday, March 11, 2007

Cien Anos - Part 2

After reading the second part of Cien Anos I'm still not sure what I actually think about this book. I will say that it certainly challenges me personally on many levels and I guess that makes it a thoughtful book. Not thoughtful in the sense of increasing my self awareness but in defining what my views are.

The elements I like are the inquisitiveness of the unknown. That is being open to figure out and explain the magic of inventions. I like the speed of the novel. It feels like so much happens in one or two pages that you have to keep focused on what you are reading.

Some of the imagery is definitely different. For instance, when Jose Arcadio is shot (or kills himself), the description of blood trickling from his body, onto the street, moving towards the Buendia house, under and around the furniture to where Ursula was standing. And to fake his death and perhaps create another legend, Colonel Aureliano Buendia, has the doctor draw a circle on his body so that when he shoots himself, the bullet passes through without touching any vital organs.

I think the circular motif of names and seemingly repetition of personality traits adds another dimension to the book.

One thing I noticed through this passage was the word 'solitary'. It certainly keeps the title of the book alive. And how 'solitary' is created always seems to be of a character's own choosing. For instance, Colonel Aureliano Buendia has a 10 foot circle drawn around him so that no one can get close.

On the flip side, the theme of incest continually interwoven throughout the book is not a part of the book I enjoy. It appears so casually within the pages of the book but for me, incest is anything but casual. I have been wondering whether there is really another message that the author is trying to say.

I guess, with any novels or writings, we examine it from our own perspective but perhaps at the same time, there maybe a part of us that wants to understand the author's point of view and what it is that he wants to say. That's true at least for me.

3 comments:

ashea said...

I also like the speed of the novel, it never leaves me wanting for more action and I am always excited to see what happens next.
I love the constant magic in the book, Marquez has a knack for making the impossible seems possible.
I never thought about the connection between solidarity and Areliano's circle, good point.

Stacey said...

I too like the speed of the novel since things are constantly happening and it keeps me intrigued. In my opinion, the unknown in this book is also what keeps me interested.
I also mentioned in my blog how the role of incest in the novel remains a mystery and i agree that there may be message behind it, but i'm not sure what it could be.

Anonymous said...

Сомнительная статья, как скоро ожидается публикации новенького материала и вообще стоит ждать ?