Saturday, January 27, 2007

Words, Words, Words: What do they Mean?

I enjoyed reading the poems of Neruda and began to understand and see beyond what appears to be every day words. The challenge for me is that what is written is not always what is meant. It is the same when a person reads Shakespeare for instance. It helps to learn how to read between the lines and be open to other interpretations. The ability to write poetry is gift just like other art forms. It is not what you see or read but what is NOT said or written. That is part of the purpose of studying literature or various forms of art. We want to understand what an author wants to tell us. Perhaps he will reveal to us his own struggles and beliefs or try to impart what the world looks like from another’s point of view.

I think that it is somewhat the same within relationships. Sometimes what someone says or does can have a deeper or hidden meaning. So how does one interpret the hidden meaning? That is where understanding ourselves can help. The more we choose to look beyond what are surface meanings or look past our immediate reactions, the better we might gain insight into what is not being said.

When I first read Neruda’s poems my first reaction was huh? And then I focused on what was not said. They were words that expressed love found, lost, worshipped, mourned, desired and embraced. Most of us might use phrases like “I love you, you’re beautiful, I miss you”. However how many of us would say “en mi cielo al crepúsculo eres como una nube y tu color y forma son como yo los quiero. Eres mía, eres mía, mujer de labios dulces, y viven en tu vida mis infinitos sueños.” Wow! Where do I find me someone like that!!!

My point is that these are words but when you look past the words, there is another meaning. It’s the passion and desire of someone who loves another. Or it might be the anguish of love lost or forbidden.

Maybe it can remind us that what we say or believe we are saying, is not always what another person might understand. How many relationships end, or wars are start or how many people are hurt over what is said because they interpret it differently. I wrote in an earlier blog about the power of words. Words give us the ability to create masterpieces in our own right. Words can express love, mutual respect, support and caring. Words can also express power, anger, manipulation and loss. I know it’s the psychologist in me but the gift of words can be one of the greatest and most challenging tools we each have within our grasp and how we use them reverberates more than we will ever know.

4 comments:

jnaslund said...

I couldn't agree with you more Cheryl, words truly are a remarkable tool. A short history lesson would surely reveal how the power and influence of words can shape an entire nation or unite a whole population. I actually do believe that words are the most powerful tool, because words are essentially the building blocks of language, and our entire society revolves around the use of language. This means that anyone who can manipulate or master words has an extraordinary power. I also agree with your point regarding Neruda's poetry being somewhat dry at first. However, if you read it again, and again and maybe just reread it one more time, the meaning really starts to come out. I don't know about you, but I still find some of the poems a little tricky to follow.

Laure said...

You're right. The words as we perceive them with their hidden meanings and all depend of what context we are in. In North America we'll have a different context than in England and words will have different meanings. It happens to me in Spanish, my friends form Spain will be scandalized at words I use that are common in Guatemala and carry a different meaning. It's actually very funny with them but I wouldn;t want that to happen in Spain with complete strangers... Neruda's poetry needs to be reread because although the reader can pick up some of the meanings with a first reading, several more reading will do wonders...

ashea said...

I like what you said about seeing beyond what appears to be everyday words. I agree that poetry, specifically Neruda's poetry, requires a more in depth reading. And interpretation is everything, I agree, how many times has wrong interpretation caused problems. Literature teaches us how to be concious of this.

Anonymous said...

I like what you said here:

Most of us might use phrases like “I love you, you’re beautiful, I miss you”.

It's so true! And maybe the fact that the author has this amazing gift with words doesn't make his romantic situation that much different than the ones that us normal people have!